Podcast - Dave Ramsey

Since I got my iPod, I have thoroughly enjoyed not only being able to listen to music at work and at home, but also the podcasts that I have discovered and subscribed to. Now I get to listen to other stuff that is automatically updated to my iPod when something new has been uploaded and I don't have to do any work for it.

I listen to Dave Ramsey's 1 hour podcast almost every day at work. I was turned on to Ramsey by Lisa's uncle, who spent years working for Edward Jones and recommended DR when I was talking with him about finances. I read one of Rasmey's books and have had several friends complete his Financial Peace University course through our church.

While Ramsey can come across sometimes as being fanatical about his approach to finances, his theory behind it all is solid and I believe worth listening to. He talks frequently about his "Baby Steps" to financial freedom and I have listed them below for future reference. The idea is to step at the top of the list and work your way through it to the end, where you will be completely debt free.

If you haven't read any of Ramsey's articles or books, I would encourage you to do so. If you have an iPod, you might want to consider subscribing to his podcast. It's common sense talk about finances and it is real world examples given by callers that help you learn from other people's mistakes and how they recovered from them.

Dave Ramsey's Baby Steps
1.) $1,000 to start an Emergency Fund
2.) Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball
3.) 3 to 6 months of expenses in savings
4.) Invest 15% of household income into Roth IRAs and pre-tax retirement
5.) College funding for children
6.) Pay off home early
7.) Build wealth and give!
8.) Invest in mutual funds and real estate

No comments:

Post a Comment