Return to College Night

Last night I was at the REALM for college night for the first time since Adelaine was born. The number of students attending over the past few months has greatly increased. I saw quite a few familiar faces and a lot more than I did not know. The musical worship time was very well done, with songs that were very appropriate for the evening's talk, which focused on Love and was wonderfully given by Freddie Williams.

After the talk I had the chance to catch up a little with some of the students that I have some history with. I didn't have the opportunity to go into to much depth with many of them, but it was good to see them and get a chance to begin reinserting myself into that community.

I had a very good discussion with one of the students I know regarding the Christian life and how we are to live in the world, but not of it. Our conversation touched on a variety of ideas and issues, but we kept circling back around several important questions:
- How are Christians to live for the Kingdom?
- Are we to forsake all possessions and live lives of poverty for Christ?
- Is it wrong to have "stuff"?
- How can a Christian be wealthy and not give to the poor?

All of the questions that we talked about were solid questions that Christians have been wrestling with since Christ walked the earth. We did not come to any consensus or conclusions in our time-limited discussion last night, but I believe that our conversation was edifying, challenging and encouraging for everyone involved.

I'm thankful for students who are trying to figure out how to live for God.

1 comment:

  1. i had that same convo with alex over coffee on monday...
    no doubt it was/is a very challenging conversation.
    couldnt have said it better... indeed grateful for students who are trying to figure our what it means to KNOW god...

    ReplyDelete