Weighing In

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about the upcoming Holiday season and became focused on all of the cookies, treats and snacks that I knew I would consume. Having just started to lose and redistribute some weight through a consistent running program, I kind of bemoaned the fact that I would inevitably gain weight during this time. (I realize that I could choose to abstain from the goodies, but I am being much more realistic in my thinking than that.)  The more I thought about it, the more I disliked the idea of gaining back the weight I have lost already. So I have devised the personal challenge that I am currently involved in.

Here is my simple challenge:
- Weigh in on the Friday before Christmas (December 17th).
- Weigh in on the Friday following New Year's Day (January 7th).
The goal is to maintain the initial weight or lose weight if possible.

That's my challenge. It's not hard, but I think it is already providing me with some extra motivation to keep up with my running. I realize that I am consuming more calories than before, but my running program also has me expending a few more than before as well. This challenge has also caused me to rethink eating that next cookie a couple of times already.

That's how I am attempting to not gain weight over the next two weeks.
My initial weigh in was 210 lbs.

So far, so good.

On a related note, my running has been going really well. I have been able to remain consistent in my running and have seen a great amount of improvement. In fact, to easily see the results, consider this:
- I ran the Eye Run For Haiti 5k on October 30th and finished with a time of 32:28. (10:58 mile)
- I ran the Jingle Bell Run 5k on November and finished with a time of 28:22. (9:09 mile)
- This morning I ran 4 miles in 33:38. (8:24 mile)

 I don't have a firm goal at this point as to any specific race or anything, but I am hoping to reach the place where running 4 miles at a sub-8 minute pace won't kill me. I'm not there yet, but give me a month or two...

No comments:

Post a Comment