The Song in My Head

Last night I awoke from my sleep sometime in the early morning hours with a song in my head. As I lay there in bed with my eyes open, I softly hummed through what I thought was the chorus of an old hymn. I could remember only the majority of the words. I lay there repeating them over and over in my head attempting in vain to recall the lost phrase. I finally fell asleep without remembering the missing lyrics.

When I awoke for work, the tune was immediately in my head again. Yet again I could not complete the chorus as the words would not come to mind. I drove to work singing the same phrases over and over both in my head and out loud. I whistled the tune. Although I could sing most of the chorus, I could not not recall any of the verses. This confused me, as I began to wonder if I was singing a portion of a verse rather than the chorus. The words were so familiar, yet they were eluding me.

Upon my arrival at work, I immediately looked up the lyrics that I was recalling and learned why I was confused as to whether or not I was singing the chorus or a verse. This great old hymn contains a portion of the chorus in two of its verses.

Now that I have listened to the song and read through the lyrics several times I wonder as to why God placed that song in my heart and head in the middle of the night. It wasn't just that I woke up with it in my head and forgot about it when I went back to sleep. No, this song was persistently upon my mind, travelling with me to work and throughout the day. So much so, in fact, that I felt compelled to tell Lisa about it during dinner tonight. I value her response and am praying that God would show me why this song was riveted to me for so many hours.


Rescue the Perishing by Fanny J. Crosby (song background)

Rescue the perishing, care for the dying,
Snatch them in pity from sin and the grave;
Weep o’er the erring one, lift up the fallen,
Tell them of Jesus, the mighty to save.

(Refrain)
Rescue the perishing, care for the dying,

Jesus is merciful, Jesus will save.

Though they are slighting Him, still He is waiting,
Waiting the penitent child to receive;
Plead with them earnestly, plead with them gently;
He will forgive if they only believe.

Refrain

Down in the human heart, crushed by the tempter,
Feelings lie buried that grace can restore;
Touched by a loving heart, wakened by kindness,
Chords that were broken will vibrate once more.

Refrain

Rescue the perishing, duty demands it;
Strength for thy labor the Lord will provide;
Back to the narrow way patiently win them;
Tell the poor wand’rer a Savior has died.

Refrain



This is what I was recalling:
"Rescue the perishing, care for the dying, duh duh-duh duh duh-duh, Jesus is Lord."
I'm not sure if some hymnals use the "Jesus is Lord" line instead of "Jesus will save", but this is what I was singing all morning long. I feel kind of bad that I was forgetting that "Jesus is merciful", but I am glad that I have now been reminded...

No comments:

Post a Comment