Impatience

God has been impressing on me lately that I am incredibly impatient.

In the past week there have been numerous times that I have become keenly aware of that impatience and have been reminded of the fact that God is still patient with me, after all that I have said and done.

This post from Jon Acuff struck home today. This pretty much sums up where I am at right now:
"Have you ever felt that way? That maybe God is not aware that the reason your friends appear to be lapping you in life is that he’s driving very, very slowly? Has there ever been something that made you feel wildly alive but you’re stuck sitting in a cubicle that is so close to the break room that at the end of the day you smell like whatever people heated up? Have you ever wanted to punch the guy who burned the popcorn in the face and take the gas pedal back? (Seriously, we’ve been microwaving popcorn since 1983, how are people still burning it?)

It’s possible you’re not impatient like me, having prayed to receive patience, which is the most dangerous thing you can ask for. But if you are, if you’ve ever felt that way, there’s hope for us all."
And his conclusion is the challenge that I am facing:
"Today, I’m going to give God the steering wheel and the gas pedal. Today I’m not going to lean over the seat and try to force the car faster."
Lord have mercy. And take the wheel and the gas pedal.

This song is stuck in my head:

"Patience (Herbert the Snail)" - Music Machine (Wiki)

No comments:

Post a Comment