One Outcome, Two Speeches

I watched American history unfold last night on the television and I was proud of how the moment was handled. After a long, hard, tough election that has dragged on forever, Americans went to the polls and made their choice for the 44th President of the United States: Barack Obama. Below are my thoughts on how the two candidates handled their respective moments on stage.

John McCain's concession speech was honest, respectful and attempted to begin the process of uniting the country behind Barack Obama.
My friends, we have come to the end of a long journey. The American people have spoken, and they have spoken clearly. A little while ago, I had the honor of calling Sen. Barack Obama — to congratulate him on being elected the next president of the country that we both love.

In a contest as long and difficult as this campaign has been, his success alone commands my respect for his ability and perseverance. But that he managed to do so by inspiring the hopes of so many millions of Americans, who had once wrongly believed that they had little at stake or little influence in the election of an American president, is something I deeply admire and commend him for achieving.

This is an historic election, and I recognize the special significance it has for African-Americans and for the special pride that must be theirs tonight.

And then McCain reflected the great amount of love and pride he has for these United State of America by saying this:

Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that.

and then this:

I would not be an American worthy of the name, should I regret a fate that has allowed me the extraordinary privilege of serving this country for a half a century. Today, I was a candidate for the highest office in the country I love so much. And tonight, I remain her servant. That is blessing enough for anyone and I thank the people of Arizona for it.

Tonight — tonight, more than any night, I hold in my heart nothing but love for this country and for all its citizens, whether they supported me or Sen. Obama, I wish Godspeed to the man who was my former opponent and will be my president.

There are two specific moments in Obama's acceptance speech that I found memorable and well said.

I just received a very gracious call from Senator McCain. He fought long and hard in this campaign, and he's fought even longer and harder for the country he loves. He has endured sacrifices for America that most of us cannot begin to imagine, and we are better off for the service rendered by this brave and selfless leader. I congratulate him and Governor Palin for all they have achieved, and I look forward to working with them to renew this nation's promise in the months ahead.
I appreciated the fact that Obama acknowledged McCain for what he has accomplished and what he has endured for our nation. And then there was this:

This election had many firsts and many stories that will be told for generations. But one that's on my mind tonight is about a woman who cast her ballot in Atlanta. She's a lot like the millions of others who stood in line to make their voice heard in this election except for one thing - Ann Nixon Cooper is 106 years old.

She was born just a generation past slavery; a time when there were no cars on the road or planes in the sky; when someone like her couldn't vote for two reasons - because she was a woman and because of the color of her skin.

And tonight, I think about all that she's seen throughout her century in America - the heartache and the hope; the struggle and the progress; the times we were told that we can't, and the people who pressed on with that American creed: Yes we can.

At a time when women's voices were silenced and their hopes dismissed, she lived to see them stand up and speak out and reach for the ballot. Yes we can.

When there was despair in the dust bowl and depression across the land, she saw a nation conquer fear itself with a New Deal, new jobs and a new sense of common purpose. Yes we can.

When the bombs fell on our harbor and tyranny threatened the world, she was there to witness a generation rise to greatness and a democracy was saved. Yes we can.

She was there for the buses in Montgomery, the hoses in Birmingham, a bridge in Selma, and a preacher from Atlanta who told a people that "We Shall Overcome." Yes we can.

A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. And this year, in this election, she touched her finger to a screen, and cast her vote, because after 106 years in America, through the best of times and the darkest of hours, she knows how America can change. Yes we can.

America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to do. So tonight, let us ask ourselves - if our children should live to see the next century; if my daughters should be so lucky to live as long as Ann Nixon Cooper, what change will they see? What progress will we have made?

This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment. This is our time - to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American Dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people:

Yes We Can.

This was his closing portion of a speech that seemed quite subdued and melodramatic considering the historical context of the outcome. I thought this section was a well-written and spoken overview of the past 100 years in American history, all the while capturing the moment and looking ahead to the future. By utilizing one of his campaign chants throughout this portion of the text, Obama was able to get the massive crowd involved and took on the role of African-American preacher making a statement and expecting a response. It seemed a fitting way to end a long campaign - a single man alone on a huge stage in front of millions around the world, evoking emotion and response from those in attendance, promising them a brighter tomorrow than what they have today and declaring that he will be the one to take them beyond the politics of today.

I find myself hoping that some of what he says will come true, all the while hoping that the change he brings doesn't alter our society in a negative way.

The next four years should be interesting to say the least...

No comments:

Post a Comment