Biden's Beliefs Betray Babies

Tom Brokaw interviewed Joe Biden on "Meet the Press" and asked him about when he believes life begins and what his stance is on abortion (video)

Much has been said about his comments in the news and on the internet, particularly surrounding this section:

I'd say, "Look, I know when it begins for me." It's a personal and private issue. For me, as a Roman Catholic, I'm prepared to accept the teachings of my church. But let me tell you. There are an awful lot of people of great confessional faiths-Protestants, Jews, Muslims and others-who have a different view. They believe in God as strongly as I do. They're intensely as religious as I am religious. They believe in their faith and they believe in human life, and they have differing views as to when life-I'm prepared as a matter of faith to accept that life begins at the moment of conception. But that is my judgment. For me to impose that judgment on everyone else who is equally and maybe even more devout than I am seems to me is inappropriate in a pluralistic society.

Later on in the interview, I believe a true reflection of Biden's faith is made clear when following question was asked by Biden in response to a statement by Brokaw:
Brokaw: You believe life begins at conception and you've also voted for abortion rights...
Biden: ... How am I going to go out and tell you if you, or anyone else, that you must insist upon my view that is based upon a matter of faith?

I believe that within that question we find that for Joe Biden his faith doesn't come into play when deciding how to form governmental policy. To me, this is an irreconcilable issue. How can a man who claims to be so strong in his faith, turn right around and state that it does not come into play when he is making decisions about life and death matters. In fact, the Roman Catholic church has taken a stance against abortion and has issued the following statement in response to Biden's interview:
Abortion is a foundational issue; it is not an issue like housing policy or the price of foreign oil. It always involves the intentional killing of an innocent life, and it is always, grievously wrong.
and here:
Resistance to abortion is a matter of human rights, not religious opinion.

Within his own religious establishment, Joe Biden's remarks have set off a firestorm of responses from all levels of the church he claims to adhere to the teachings of. If he did indeed believe and attempt to live out what the Roman Catholic Church believes, wouldn't Joe Biden be fully aware of the church's staunch stance against not only abortion but contraception as well. The Roman Catholic Church believes so strongly that life begins at conception that it has deemed any form of contraception to be sinful. Yet, here is a man claiming to be a strong follower of the Catholic faith who does not deem this to be an important issue or one worthy of flexing his political clout to attempt to impact the society he lives in in a way that reflects his supposed beliefs.

Albert Mohler provides a great closing thought on this issue:

Can a morally serious man really say that he believes that unborn babies are human beings, but that it should be a protected right to kill them?

The answer, which appears obvious to me, is a resounding "No!". There is no way to reconcile any amount of faith you claim to have with this attitude of justified inaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment